Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spiced Pear Cookies

Recipe from Judy Daudt

This has been a very good week at school.  All my classes are going well, kids are staying out of trouble and being as entertaining as ever, and there are only three days of classes!  For the kids anyway- I have teacher in-service to learn how to UbD-ize my units.  But today felt like a Friday, so I came home, watched a movie, slept for an hour, and decided to bake something.  I have guests coming over Friday and I think I'm going to try for a pear cake since we have so many pears we need to eat.  But I didn't want to bake a cake and have it sit for two days, so I decided to start small with a batch of spiced pear cookies.  One of my dear friends and mentors from university gave me a cookbook she had compiled and it's full of Midwestern deliciousness.  While I'm quite experienced baking apples, I've never tried pears.  So here are the results:
 Absolute success!
Giving the house a nice, spicy aroma
So without further adieu, here is the secret recipe:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (I used white sugar for the half cup- brown sugar is a precious commodity here!)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 pear- peeled, cored and diced
Suggested: 1/2 cup raisins or Crasins
I omitted the walnuts, because I don't believe in infecting baked goods with nuts, but whatever floats your boat.  I have similar feelings, though not as strong, to raisins.  Crasins I might have tried if only for the festive color.

Preheat oven to 350*F/175*C.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in egg and vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
Stir in chopped pears, and others.
Bake 15 mins (more like 12 in my oven)
Cool

Optional:
Frost with 1 cup powdered sugar mixed with 2 Tbsp lemon juice.  I don't think they need it though.  They're sweet enough!

Very sticky to put on the baking sheet.  I was worried, but they turned out just fine!

1 comment:

Эми said...

PS Makes about 2.5 dozen cookies

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails