Thursday, June 30, 2011

P-P-P-Portland!

Mt Hood from the airplane

I just back from a 2.5 hour kayaking trip and it hurts to type.  The writing conference is really neat, fun, and amazing and I'm having a great time.  It is also very interesting.  Now I can teech kids to write good.


I love Portland!  My first night here was so full with meeting other teachers, going to Powell's Books, Deschutes Brewery (there's nothing like sharing the sampler with people you just met), and a Butterfinger donut at Voodoo Donuts (oh so bad for me after 10pm!).  This is such a walkable city; I just have to leave the hotel and the fun finds me.




The conference is from 8am-3:30pm, so we have all evening to explore the city.  Last night I went back to Powell's and a couple of friends and I found an Asian fusion place called Ping (it was highly rated by GQ, so you know it's classy).  Then we tried to find a brewery (fail), and then a chocolate cafe (also fail), so we just went back to our rooms and went to bed early.  Good choice.

Today one of my friends from Moscow suggested we go kayaking.  I had never been and it was a great adventure.  We didn't have to go far to feel like we'd left the city.  This beauty of the water and the trees and the sky suddenly came out of nowhere and it felt good in my spirit where I didn't even know I needed it.  Sorry no pictures though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails