Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hey Sister

So while we're hiding away in a Russian forest, secluded from all but the Internet, I've been taking time to read.  I picked up Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand in one of the other English teacher's room and have been slowly making my way through the refining of Readon Metal and the operations of a Taggart Transcontinental.  I am totally engrossed in the politics and leaders of big business.  It is quite brilliant how Rand can depict the industrial world so poetically.  I feel like I'm watching Fantasia sometimes, blueish liquid fire is poured out and tall rectangular buildings with rows of uniform windows spring up against a red skyline as classical music plays in the background.

At the same time I'm reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Investing for Women that my dad gave me.  It's from like 1998, but most of the investment and finance concepts have been the same for a hundred years.  It's kind of fun that it's written specifically to women; it gives a lot of examples of successful women and makes the terminology more relate-able.

So the combination of the two has been giving me visions of being Dagny Taggart in futuristic-yet-1950's disutopian America, correcting the mistakes of an incompetent, indecisive brother to save her beloved railroad, facing masculine opposition at every turn.  No one tell me who is John Galt is, because I haven't gotten there yet!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails