Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pumpkin Soup

This is looooong overdue... a few people asked me for the pumpkin soup recipe I used at the All Things Fall Party in October.  So here it is...

Note: I use basic recipes and adapt them based on how many people I'm cooking for and what ingredients I have or don't have (ie which country I'm in), and usually put in a lot more spices

This recipe is for 12-16 servings, but when I made it for the party I think it fed 18 people, so I made a bunch of adjustments here and there

Ingredients:
Half a chopped onion
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
(I also usually add a tsp of pumpkin pie spice if I have it)
2 Tbsp butter
2 30oz cans pumpkin (or fresh pumpkin.  I usually have some of both)
2 28oz cans chicken broth (or bouillon cubes w/water), plus a bit more if your cooking for a lot of people
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cups milk or cream (go for the cream!)
Fresh sage leaves or dried bread cubes for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large pot cook onion, curry powder, cumin, coriander, and salt in hot butter until the onion is tender.
2. Whisk in the pumpkin, chicken broth, brown sugar and maple syrup, until well combined.  Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat.
3. At this point, I use a minipimer which is my new favorite kitchen appliance.  This step isn't necessary though; your soup will just be a little chunkier.
4. Stir in the milk/cream and heat through. You may have to taste and add some extra spices (I think I quadrupled what this recipe asks for haha)
5. Serve with garnish
 I obviously need to make taking photos of my baking victories more of a priority...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails